mykachu (myka551) wrote in aramatheydidnt,

1-meter-high tsunami hits northeast Japan after M7.3 quake strikes

TOKYO — A one meter-high tsunami hit northeast Japan on Friday, after a powerful undersea quake struck off the coast which was devastated in last year’s quake-tsunami disaster.

The Japan Meteorological Agency said the wave swept ashore at just after 6 p.m. in Ayukawa, Ishinomaki, a city badly hit by the 2011 tsunami that wrecked a large swathe of the northeast coast.

The 7.3-magnitude quake struck at 5:18 p.m., setting buildings in Tokyo swaying violently for several minutes. It was followed by a 6.2

aftershock, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The quake measured 5 on the Japanese scale of one to seven in Iwate, Miyagi, Aomori, Ibaraki and Tochigi prefectures, and 3 in Tokyo, the Meteorological Agency said. 

Five injuries were reported in Miyagi and two in Ibaraki.

The agency said the epicenter was 240 kilometers east of Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture and 10 kilometers beneath the seabed.

Residents of at least one town, Minamisanriku in Miyagi Prefecture,
were advised to get to safety, with reports suggesting other towns were
also affected.

“We are now calling on people to evacuate to higher ground,” town official Ryuichi Omori told AFP:

“It’s already pitch dark here. Calls—both landlines and mobiles—are
not going through now, which makes it difficult to see people’s
movements. We are now setting up a disaster taskforce.”

A presenter on state broadcaster NHK repeatedly told viewers to get to safety after the initial tremors, which set Tokyo buildings swaying violently.

“Remember last year’s quake and tsunami,” he said. “Call on your neighbours and flee to higher ground now!”

NHK said the Japan Meteorological Agency had issued a tsunami warning, one notch lower than a tsunami alert, for the Pacific coast of Iwate, Fukushima, Aomori and Ibaraki prefectures.

There was no threat of a Pacific-wide tsunami, U.S. monitors based in Hawaii said. Officials in both Indonesia and the Philippines south of Japan said there was no threat of a localised tsunami.

Nuclear plant operator Tokyo Electric Power told AFP there were no reports of any problems at the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

“No abnormalities have been recorded on instruments at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant’s six reactors,” a TEPCO spokesman said. “All workers were ordered to take shelter inside buildings at the Fukushima plant. “No abnormalities were confirmed with the radiation monitoring posts at the Fukushima plant. No abnormalities were seen with the water processing facilities.” Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda was heading to his office where he would be monitoring the situation, Jiji Press said.
Japan Railways East temporarily suspended Shinkansen bullet train services to check any damage, Jiji said, while Haneda Airport near central Tokyo was reported to be operating normally.

Narita airport was reported to have resumed operations after a temporary suspension.


Tags: news

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded